[asterisk-tech] IAX2 source ports

Garth van Sittert garth at bitco.co.za
Mon Oct 29 12:42:35 SAST 2007

I have 3 extenal Asterisk servers linked via IAX2 trunks to a single
Asterisk server behind a netgear DG834 ADSL router with port forwarding
UDP 4569 to the internal server.  When the external servers register
with the internal server everything is ok for a good few hours.  After
this period, some of the trunks go down and doing a tcpdump shows that
the ADSL router is rewriting the source ports on the UDP packets which
is standard for nat but the external Asterisk servers don't register
with the internal server.  When the trunks are good, there is no
rewriting of source ports done on the IAX packets... ie  4569 <=>  4569.

Whether the DG834 does full cone NAT, Restricted cone NAT, Port
restricted cone NAT or Symmetric NAT I cannot confirm. Anyone else
know?  The IAX2 trunking is fine if you have only one site registered at
a time.  I have also checked the UDP NAT on the DG834 only expires after
60 minutes.

The reason that softphones don't have this issue (as far as I can see)
is that they use a random source port to connect to asterisk on 4569.

My other option is to have each site listening on a different port and
specify the destination port on the register line and trunk definition
in iax.conf, but this deviates from standard and seems messy.

I have tried without registrations, with registrations, with an IAX
entry for each way a call initiation is made, a single shared definition
but without success.

Anyone come across this before?  I can't see how the DG834 could simply
become confused so easily.

Garth

Garth van Sittert
BSc (Physics & Computer Science)