[asterisk-tech] Telkom/087 links

HILL David David.Hill at alcatel.co.za
Wed Jun 28 13:42:32 SAST 2006

Steve,

As far as I am concerned when the interconnection is SS7 there is no RTP
traffic, it is TDM and you will interconnect at E1 level sending TDM voice
into Telkom. I guess it is possible to use Sigtran M2UA or M3UA to carry the
SS7 over IP to the softswitch, but the softswitch is Telkom's and this will
happen at Telkom's Media Gateway or Signaling gateway (if connecting to an
STP network in the traditional TDM case) and point towards their softswitch
- never from outside their network. This media gateway will then again
convert to VoIP (RTP) and how Telkom transport the RTP within their network
is their problem and we will never know the topology of their internal
network.

The only solution to this is for Telkom or ICASA or anyone to make a proper
IP-IP switch for interconnection of VAN's and not to use SS7 between VoIP
operators. This is why I mentioned Transtel's solution some time ago and
pointed everyone at Angus Hay. They have an IP-IP POI for VAN's and suchlike
(like a peering point in the internet world) and a SS7 interconnection to
the current operators. This might still be worth exploring.

Dave